Elder abuse affects many older Western Australians, and may involve social, physical, sexual, psychological, emotional or financial abuse.
The Department of Communities is working to reduce elder abuse in Western Australia through the development and implementation of an elder abuse strategy and the provision of resources designed to support individuals and service providers.
Communities also collaborates with government and non-government agencies to develop policies and deliver services to help stop elder abuse, including:
- Council on the Ageing WA (COTA WA) is the Seniors Peak Body in Western Australia. Call COTA WA on (08) 9472 0104.
- Advocare assists older people to understand their rights and provides free confidential information and support to older people who are at risk of or experiencing elder abuse. Call the Elder Abuse Helpline on 1300 724 679.
- Northern Suburbs Community Legal Centre (NSCLC) provides the Older People’s Rights Service, including legal advice, information and support to those at risk or experiencing elder abuse. In addition, NSCLC’s Elder Abuse Peer Education Scheme aims to connect specifically trained volunteers with older people in the community. Call NSCLS on (08) 9440 1663.
- Office of the Public Advocate works to promote and protect the human rights of Western Australian adults with decision-making disabilities. The office can provide information about Enduring Power of Attorney and Enduring Power of Guardianship. Call the Telephone Advisory Service on 1300 858 455.
- The Public Trustee offers independent trustee and asset management services. These include Will and Enduring Power of Attorney drafting, deceased estate administration, executor support, financial administration and trust management services. Call 1300 746 212.
- Senior’s Rights Advocacy Services helps older Western Australian to safeguard their rights and prevent elder abuse. Call Infoline on 1300 650 579.
Elder abuse awareness brochure
Elder abuse awareness posters
Elder abuse awareness postcards
At Home Guide
Council on the Ageing Western Australia’s (COTA WA’s) At Home Guide supports older Western Australians to live well. Developed in partnership with the Department of Communities, the guide is designed as an ongoing companion for seniors at home.