Family violence provisions

Family violence is a prevalent and devastating issue affecting the Western Australian community. WA’s laws are changing to provide better support to tenants who are at risk of, or experiencing family and domestic violence.

Changes to the Residential Tenancies Act that came into effect in April 2019 provide more options and flexibility for tenants through a number of practical measures, including:

  • the ability to end a tenancy or tenancy interest directly with a landlord or property manager, with appropriate evidence
  • the ability to remove a perpetrator from a tenancy agreement and remain in the property by applying to the Court
  • the option to apply to the Court to settle financial disputes regarding rent and property damage
  • the option to change locks on a rental property without seeking landlord permission to stop a perpetrator accessing the property
  • the option to install security measures at the rental property in certain circumstances
  • a process to have their name removed from blacklisted tenancy databases if this is due to family violence

Consumer Protection WA is implementing these changes. Information and resources for tenants and landlords is available at

This includes a video developed by Consumer Protection WA to explain the changes. Translated versions are also available in:

The Department of Communities has an important role to play in supporting Safe Tenancy as WA’s lead agency for family and domestic violence and a housing provider for government employees, public housing tenants and people living in an Aboriginal community.

If you are a tenant in public housing, government employee housing or Aboriginal housing, please visit or contact your regional service provider or housing office for more information.


If you are experiencing family and domestic violence please visit the Family and Domestic Violence help page for information about support services. In an emergency call 000.

To close this window immediately, click on the exit button (right) or press Ctrl +W.

For information about how to browse incognito and/or erase your history, see