We recognise that the COVID-19 pandemic has placed a lot of people under personal and financial stress. In order to assist, a number of changes are being made to rental tenancies.

COVID-19 emergency period rent payable increase postponement

Public, transitional and Aboriginal housing

The Department of Communities is postponing increases to the rent payable in its public, transitional and Aboriginal housing programs, which normally follow increases in household income, until after the COVID-19 emergency period has ended (28 March 2021).

This means any increase to the rent payable for your property won’t apply until after 28 March 2021. If you have already received an increase to your rent payable since the COVID-19 emergency period began on 30 March 2020, you will receive a credit in your rental account for the extra rent you paid.

Any decrease to your rent payable will still be applied as usual during the COVID-19 emergency period.

If you have been impacted by this change, you will be contacted directly by the Department of Communities or your housing provider (for transitional housing) with more information.

If you are a public housing tenant or Aboriginal housing tenant, you can also contact your local Housing Office for more information.

Transitional housing tenants can contact their housing provider for more information.

Community housing and key worker housing

Communities is encouraging housing providers to postpone increases to the rent payable in other government-supported accommodation where rent is set as a percentage of weekly household income, including community housing and key worker housing.

Community housing organisations that postpone increases to the rent payable for community housing properties that would normally follow increases in household income will receive compensation from Communities to reduce the financial impact on the sector.

Key worker housing providers will not be financially impacted by postponing increases to rent payable and therefore will not require compensation.

If you are a community housing tenant or key worker housing tenant and the rent payable for your property has increased since 30 March 2020, or you are expecting an increase before 28 March 2021, you should contact your housing provider to find out whether the increase will be postponed.

More information

For more information and updates about COVID-19, please call the National Coronavirus Health Information Line on 1800 020 080 or visit: